It’s not news to hear all of the “free website” offers. Free sounds like a great deal until the site goes down or worse yet is hacked. Making the site is just the beginning. There is so much more that goes on behind the scenes. In this article we are going to point out those “unseen” yet critical website components that require knowledge, time, training and education. The average person simply cannot implement, nor have the time to learn, what makes for a safe and secure web site environment.
1. So you have your new free website from Wix or Weebly or some other start-up company. Here is a shortlist of a few things you will need to hope your site is capable of:
- The code and core of the site is clean and optimized for proper google search indexing.
- Your site is secured with https
- The design is mobile responsive and easy to use.
- The site is using the most up-to-date versions of php, mysql, rest api and java script to name a few.
- Your site is not using flash (Weebly and Wix rely on flash).
- The site follows site speed and image optimization guidelines.
- There is a indexable xml site map that the Google Bot can read
- You actually need to show up in search results – if you have a website, and google can’t see it – you are invisible – Free Wix and Weebly sites are not visible to Google. In fact, Google routinely blocks those sites for bad code practices.
- Strong back end security to protect the site from malicious attacks
- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY WHO WILL FIX THE SITE WHEN – NOT IF – IT IS COMPROMISED
2. Let’s talk about what happens to that free site when the security measures simply are not strong enough to protect the site from malicious code.
Believe it or not, the bad guys are looking for people just like you who have no idea about security. Maybe you opted to host the site on a cheap hosting account that has hundreds of other sites also without proper security. Your site will go down right along with the rest due to malicious code cross-scripting and contamination. The hosting company will simply remove your site until you have “cleaned” all of the offending garbage. Google will “blacklist” your site taking months for you to recover your former search results. If you do not know how to check for file modifications and injection code, you will need to hire someone at considerable cost to repair your free site. The hosting company will not allow your site to be viewable until it is certified clean. In fact, if you do not fix the site they will delete you from the server, period.
3. Scary stuff goes on every day. Not a day goes by that we do not hear of some large security breach or attack launched at the Federal Government or large corporate entities.
How does that happen so often? In most cases, it comes from a hacked website that has been programmed to attack another website and so on up the food chain. If your site has been used to hack a federal or banking entity, you may trigger a response to be quietly investigated, by Homeland Security, as a potential terrorist. If that doesn’t make you want to have a professionally managed site nothing will.
4. Acri Provides Managed hosting services 24/7
With all the advantages we provide you are going to pay less for your Acri managed site than you will if you have to hire someone to deal with it yourself. Therefore, you are, in fact, procuring better value for your Association’s money.
- Server monitoring
- On-call maintenance
- Hardware upgrading
- Software upgrading
- Software installation
- Backup services
- Security auditing
5. The true value for the site we make for you is over $5000.00
Below is what you would need to pay a developer for custom site design for a very basic 5-page site.
- Design, custom images, logo – $1,200 – $2,400
- https certificate $100.00 yearly
- Implement Amazon S3 Account to securely deliver legal documents– $240 – $600
- Basic Google Search Analytics – $1500.00
- Advanced security measures – $1500.00
- Testing and Launch – $960 – $1200
6. What Happens when the homeowner who made your free site moves away?
- The average person is too busy to update your site. Information is stale or outdated.
- Their personal obligations will always come first.
- The knowledge base needed becomes overwhelming.
- Your personal email account gets hacked from messages.
- The site contains identifiable information about you in the user profile.
- Your company email account at work gets blacklisted for spam because you replied to a cc’d message on your break to save time.
- The site goes down for various reasons and the neighbor cannot fix it.
- Neighbors complain about the site to the Directors and to the homeowner (s) who created it.
7. What else does your Acri Site provide for you? And what is the Market Value for these services?
- Daily Site Back-Ups – $100.00 per month – market value
- Dedicated Hosting – $140.00 per month – market value
- HTTPS TLS Protocol
- PII Insurance
- FTC Compliance
- 24/7 Security and Up-Time Monitoring $100.00 per month – market value
- Google Analytics monitoring – $100.00 per month – market value
8. A professionally managed Acri Commercial Realty NeighborhoodNotices site offers many benefits.
- Scales from low to high demand, when traffic hits your site we make sure you stay up.
- Web reputation management – Your Acri site takes care of “bad comments” and spammy referral links.
- Peace of mind knowing your site will be backed up with security updates and monitoring.
9. MOST IMPORTANTLY – WE DO ALL OF THE WORK
- Your site is updated with the most current “Approved” Board of Director minutes and financial documents.
- Messages are sent safely and securely to homeowners when the site is updated or emergency information needs to get into your hands quickly. You will never see a long cc’d on any message we send. Your email is safe from hackers with us and your privacy is safeguarded.
- The clubhouse rental and events are accessible for all to see. (if applicable)
- Your site delivers secure e-Form email messages without you needing to remember your manager’s email address.
- Property reputation management. We maintain and enhance your internet visibility. Simply google your site name and you will appear.
- Our websites help the board of directors perform their primary objective which is “To maintain and enhance property values”.
- Exclusive Links to Services Acri Commercial Realty provides to homeowners living in an Acri Managed Community:
Acri Preferred Service Providers – Your own free Acri Angie’s List
Acri Help Desk – Get answers to common questions – order re-sale certificates
Acri Homeowner Protection Plans – Safeguard you home operating systems
Acri Utility Savers Program – sign up to start $aving today.
10. An Acri Professionally Managed site along with Acri Professional Property Management helps Market and Preserve Property values. We all need to move someday. Isn’t it nice to know that ACRI cares about preserving and enhancing the value of your home?
If you are already enjoying the freedom, flexibility of a resource-rich Acri Website we wish to congratulate you on your web-savvy choice. If you are looking to replace your underperforming Association Website or are searching for a great solution to showcase your community be sure to contact us today. We will be happy to “Get your Neighborhood Noticed” without a bit of work required on your part.